Mythological & Pop Culture References in Dota 2
Dota 2 is a game with many obvious mythological references, from heroes such as Zeus, king of the gods, to Medusa, a Gorgon who has the power to turn anyone she gazes upon into stone instantly. These heroes even display their mythological powers with Medusa’s ultimate ability, which slows enemies for 50% as long as they are looking at her; Zeus also has lightning based abilities such as Thundergod’s Wrath and Lightning Bolt. The references even further than this and many items are named after figures in mythology.
- Shadow Fiend’s real name is Nevermore, which is a reference to Edgar Allen Poe’s poem The Raven, in which a raven torments a man with his incessant use of the word “Nevermore”.
- Abaddon is Hebrew for destruction. Abaddon is the name of a fallen angel in the Book of Revelation.
- Puck is a reference to Midsummer Night’s Dream by Shakespeare in which there is a fairy named Puck.
- Aggron Stonebreak the Ogre Magi shares a first name with a Steel/Rock type Pokemon, Aggron.
- Io is named after either one of Jupiter’s moons or a priestess of Hera who seduced Zeus and was then turned into a cow.
- Spirit Breaker’s real name is Barathrum, which is Latin for “underworld”.
- Queen of Pain’s real name is Akasha, which means “sky” in Hindi.
- Weaver may be a reference to a character in the novel Perdido Street Station named The Weaver, a giant multi-dimensional spider.
- Several heroes such as Naga Siren and Centaur Warrunner are based off of to mythological beings.
- The Aegis of the Immortal is a shield carried by Athena in Greek mythology.
- Aghanim’s Scepter is named after Agahnim, a boss in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
- The Armlet of Mordiggian is is a named after Mordiggian, a character in Cthulhu mythos.
- Dagon is a Mesopotamian fertility god.
- Monkey King Bar is from a Chinese folk tale, Journey to the West.
- Necronomicon is a reference to the fictional book that appears in many of H.P. Lovecraft’s stories.
- Sange and Yasha is a reference to items of the same name from the game Phantasy Star Online.
- Mjolnir is the hammer of Thor in Norse mythology.
Let us know if you want to read more of these interesting facts